The way your eyes
Are dragged down with sleep in the morning
Compels me
You look like you could fall asleep right there
But instead
You hold your eyes open
To humor my excitement of a brand new day
That has yet to be ruined
Your jaw flexes as you concentrate on each bite of your cereal
And that little scar along your jaw line stretches
Each time you extend your mouth for another bite
Nodding your head to act like your listening
Even though I know you don’t really care
I laugh,
Because when you tell me you don’t care
It makes me happy to know
That you tried to listen for a little while at least
You scowl at me when I remind you to take your medicine
Your forehead crinkles into a mix of
Anger, humor, and exhaustion
I remind you how I don’t like to be bothered
By your enjoyment of tormenting me
When I’m trying to focus
Begrudgingly you take the medicine
And a small smile spreads across your face
Finally you’re awake enough
To enjoy the day with me
That has yet to be ruined
But as long as my day ends with you
Everything will be true
English III and English IV
13 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment