Wednesday, October 21, 2009

yes my family

It happens every year. Right around the same time. It’s called the Prescott Family Christmas. It’s never boring, but always interesting. You put a family of crazy, spontaneous, and stubborn people in the same room, and then add beer, (it’s all my family drinks), well there you go, a Prescott Family Christmas. It has never been a place that I see often. My family lives so far downstate that we rarely make it down there. But we always make this trip. I walk in and the air is still hinted with smoke from all the years my grandpa smoked. I wonder if it just seeped into the walks to leave his mark on the house. Sadly he accomplished his goal. Good job grandpa. I’m always welcomed with warms hugs from aunts, uncles and cousins. I say “hi” and try to remember all their names. My dad’s side is huge. I’ve just remembered all the names of people over the age of 12. There are kids running in between the adults. Playing games that only they understand. Their laughter and cries fill the house. As kids come into the kitchen they grab whatever they see first. Sometimes when they think that they’re grabbing their own red cup filled with sherbet punch, it turns out to be their parent’s glass. Sometimes someone will catch it, other times, the kid will bring it to our attention by making a face that’s twisted with disgust, and a sound usually escapes out of their mouth. We all laugh and someone will hand the kid a glass of the liquid they were looking for. Almost immediately the kid will go on playing. Last year the game was who could be king of the steps. Which is their indoor version of king of the hill. This game involved one kid throwing a turtle doorstop down the steps. Yes it’s dangerous, as it resulted in one kid, who was trying to get to the top, a nice gash on his forehead. Yes that’s our family. The adults play euchre, and the kids throwing things at each other. We go on for hours like this. Playing, sometimes eating, but always, drinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment